top of page
  • Venetia House


Spain Work Permit: Self-employed (permiso de trabajo por cuenta propia)

This visa is for self-employed people. This residence permit can cover freelancers, professionals, or small business owners.

  • To qualify you need to show four things.You are qualified and capable of running the business successfully. You can show this with evidence of formal education, vocational training, or work experience.

  • There is sufficient funding to cover both business and personal expenses for the year of the visa

  • A business plan to show the certifying authority that you have a strong chance of success.

  • The positive impact your business will have on the Spanish economy. The first prize here is a projection of creating jobs for Spanish nationals.

Again, you cannot apply for this visa while you are in Spain. You need to apply at the nearest embassy or consulate in your home country, and the consular office processes the application.

The visa is valid for one year. You can renew this Spain work visa for four additional years. At each renewal, you’ll need to show that the business is still viable and that you have enough money to cover the additional year.

After five years, you’ll be eligible for permanent residence in Spain.

You’ll need to register as an autonomo once you set up your business in Spain. An autonomo is the tax and employment structure for sole-traders and small business in Spain.

PLEASE SEE MY OTHER POSTS ON AUTONOMO, get in touch for further Assistance in this and then the subsequent accounting packages I can offer.



1. Fill in the EX-07 form of ‘Autorización de residencia temporal y trabajo por cuenta propia’.

2. Fill in the ‘Autorización inicial de residencia temporal’ fee self-assessment form 790-052, to be paid at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

3. Fill in the ‘Autorización inicial de trabajo por cuenta propia’ fee self-assessment form 790-062, to be paid at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

4. Valid passport or travel document, recognised as valid in Spain. It must have a minimum validity of the duration of the stay and at least two blank pages. Photocopy of all passport pages.

5. Work Permits or Licenses that sanction the building, opening and operation of the planned project or the professional activity, including the information regarding the stage of the process and, if corresponding, certificates of applications filed with competent authorities.

6. Business Plan of Activities that will be carried out, with the anticipated investments shown, your projected profits and the possible amount of jobs created and proof of sufficient economic funds, or contracts of investments or loans from financial institutions. There must be evidence of sufficient funds to establish and maintain employment indefinitely.

7. Proof of having the legally required professional qualification or sufficient experience of carrying on professional activity, as well as professional registration when required.

8. Proof of having sufficient economic funds for covering maintenance and accommodation costs. If the origin of these funds is the self-employed professional activity, it will be evaluated after discounting the necessary costs to cover the maintenance of professional activity.

VISA APPLICATION: In case the authorization for residence and self-employed work is granted, the applicant must personally apply for visa within ONE MONTH from receiving the notice of the authorization grant, providing the following documents:

1. National visa form complete, dated and signed.

2. Recent passport photograph with white background. Information on the requirements to be met by photographs can be found in the ICAO document.

3. Valid passport or travel document, recognised as valid in Spain. It must have a minimum validity of the duration of the stay and at least two blank pages. Photocopy of all passport pages.

4. Valid UK residence permit and photocopy. Only for non-UK Nationals. Visa applications submitted by non-residents who are in the UK on a C-Visit stay visa will not be accepted.

5. Certificate of criminal record (only in the case of persons over 18 years of age, criminal age in Spain) issued by the country or countries where the applicant has resided within the five years preceding the date of the visa application. It cannot be older than 3 months, unless the certificate itself specifies a longer expiration. For UK Criminal Records submit ACRO Certificate. These certificates must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or, in the case of signatory countries to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union, which will not require to be legalised. Sworn translation into Spanish is also required.

6. Medical certificate, issued by a registered medical practitioner no later than 3 months prior to the date of application ( see Information on the NLV T&C)

7. Pay the relevant visa fee at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

NOTICE: This information is intended to serve as a guide for visa applicants. While we try to make it as accurate and up-to-date as possible, this Consulate General does not assume any legal or other liability for its accuracy and refers to existing Schengen and national regulations.

After obtaining the visa, the applicant has one month from the date of entry into Spain, to process the TIE - Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero at the Immigration Office or Police Station. ( SEE As NLV)

Get in touch to discuss further and how i can help, again if you only need the autonomo in Spain i can tailor this to your needs.

Prices on Request

179 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page