• colinhousecreative

Renewing the Non Lucrative Visa

Updated: Mar 19

It will be time soon for some of you to start thinking about renewing your NLV, you can start to do this from 60 days before and 90 days after, it is always better to start getting a list together and organizing what you need for the Renewal.

What is needed for the Renewal?

Fortunately you do not need to go back to the country you first applied from, this time it is all done here in Spain.

This is also the time to consider if you want to swap to a Self employed visa or if you have had a job offer and can get a sponsor for a work visa, maybe this time you can jump on to a family reunification visa, hopefully you have taken the time to research what is needed for either of these, in this article we will look at just at the renewal of the Non Lucrative, so again it will be no work allowed.

First Stage

Monetary Funds

As with the initial Application you will need to show the immigration that you can still support you and your family if you are applying for them too.

Monetary support, this time they will want to see 800% of the Iprem, this does change yearly but for this year it is €579.02 monthly and yearly €6,948.24 at 100% so this will equal to €55,585.92 a year, for the 800% for one person and this time doubling the amount for each additional family member equalling €13896.48, remember this time it is for 2 years, * the 800% i have been told by various immigration officals isnt nessesarily added up to that, if you are able to support your self with the savings, or a monthly pension as you know these are accepted, what they do say now that for the 3rd year if you have a pension or policy that is maturing or you are selling an asset and the funds wil be available for the 3rd year, along with properties and other assets you hold these are also taken into consideration.

if you are receiving a pension and it matches the Iprem or over and is a guaranteed amount then this will be accepted too as it was for the first application.

Of course on the day it is at the discretion of the immigration if they decided to accept or not, so the more attractive your income looks, the better!


If you haven´t been able to apply with the S1 at the first stage, you can for sure do it this time around, get this sorted now and ready for the submission.

After a year of being in Spain you can apply for the convenio-especial, if you wish to go on the Spanish healthcare of course and the cost will be available on request of this at the local Tgss office or a quick look online at the moment it is €60 for under 65 and €157 for over, the link is an example for Valencia

Or as in the first year, your prefered healthcare provider, please ask for a recommended company.

Police Report

This time around you will not need the Police report but please be aware any cautions or reports against you will be on record and will be looked into.

Medical Certificate

No need for the Medical Certificate this time either!

Other Necessary Documents

This time you will need to prove that you have indeed been in the country for more than 183 days, so it may be necessary to show a Tax return, invoices to show payments relating to your previous 6 months, such as utility payments, rents paid, bank statements with movements, not forgetting your residence starts from your TIE so you could have 2 split years.

I would suggest to file a tax reutrn for the first year, please speak with me first to discuss as this can be benefical to the approval of subsuquent years

Empadronamiento *Padrón, again needs updating.

Marriage Certificate will need updating within 3 months, translated and apostille


With regards to children and renewals, you will need to show that they are enrolled in school and attending classes regularly.

They will need the birth certificates updated within 3 months, translated and apostille again.


The application can be done in person with an appointment at one of the immigration offices that does the renewal or online with a digital certificate which i can submit for you with mine, as before once approved, you are then required to obtain the TIE card


This again the same process as the first time, in which we need an appointment at the immigration/police station, taking with the approved visa and the necessary Documents.

As always i can assist with as much or as little as you like, please feel free to get in touch for a free online face or call appointment to discuss your requirements.

Prices start at €175

865 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All